MKI maintains a great many printers in McNair (Building 37) and NE83. Each printer we maintain has a label with its hostname (e.g.
csrpr27.mit.edu) and its internal name (e.g. 37-518 Phaser 7800GX). LIGO’s printer in NW22 are maintained separately.
To connect your machine to a printer, either follow the instructions on the sheet by the printer (also available here), or the instructions below.
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Select Print & Fax.
3. Click the ‘+’ underneath the list of printers in the left pane and go to the IP tab in the resulting window.
4. Fill in the information as shown in the illustration. Replace the entry in the Address field with the printer’s hostname, as identified on the printer’s label. For example, put
csrpr27.mit.edu in the field in order to set up the Phaser 7800 in 37-518. Please do not use the numerical IP address to set up printers, as you will experience difficulty printing if it changes.
5. Make sure that the Protocol menu is set to HP Jetdirect – Socket.
6. Computers on the wired network should automatically populate the Use: menu with the correct driver. If it instead recommends a generic driver, choose “Select Software… ” from the menu and find the appropriate driver in the list. If the driver does not appear in the list, close the window, download and install the driver package from http://support.xerox.com, and start the process again.
7. Click the Add button.
8. Computers on the wired network should automatically configure the printer’s options. Laptops and other wifi-based computers should be fine with the default options.