Subject: sim_plots_from_unix

From: Dan Dewey <dd@spectra>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 97 15:53:12 EST

Dave and Chris, 

 OK, the big kludge is available for use.  I have a routine called
sim_plots_from_unix that gets used very much like the xss_from_unix,
that is manually or from a shell you:

  create xss_startup.pro in local dir
  setenv IDL_STARTUP xss_startup.pro

  run idl with a file name argument, e.g.:
  idl make_sim_plots.pro

where you've created make_sim_plots.pro to be:

  sim_plots_from_unix, '~dd/idl/cmdb/Phase1/970106/970106.cmdb', '20', $
	'/nfs/wiwaxia/d4/cmdb/Simulations/','/nfs/wiwaxia/d8/specfiles/'
  exit

The first two arguments to sim_plots_from_unix are the same as to
xss_from_unix  : full cmdb file name and a line(s) specifier,
the next two arguments are the simulation and spectrum file
directories (including a final /).  Note that the spectrum
file directory is used to get the .ps files created by
xss_sim and not the .spec files used by csim.

When executed this will create .ps files in the simulation
subdirectories and also convert them to .gif .  If all you
need are the .ps then I can have it remove them when done
or if you don't need the .gif I can remove their creation.

Look in /nfs/wiwaxia/d4/cmdb/Simulations/D-HXH-AL-27.001
for sample output - and by the way the rings here
look too large - a problem with csim defocus value
(should be ~65 mm from best focus) of some new
scale factor in the output? 

   -Dan