Re: ISIS initialization error

From: John Houck <houck_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:57:07 -0400
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 13:28 -0400, Keith A McDermott wrote:
> Thanks John,<br>
> libpng.a was actually just a symlink to libpng12.&nbsp; I applied that
> change but now it seems to have reverted isis to using it's own pgplot
> module instead of using the system one<br>
> *** isis initialization failed; using ISIS_SRCDIR = /usr/local/isis<br>
> Error linking to /usr/local/isis/lib/modules/pgplot-module.so:
> /usr/local/isis/lib/modules/pgplot-module.so: undefined symbol: cpggray<br>
> Traceback: import<br>
> /usr/local/isis/share/pgplot.sl:1:&lt;top-level&gt;:Import Error<br>
> Traceback: evalfile<br>
> Traceback: evalfile<br>
> *** isis initialization failed<br>

pgplot-module.so is part of the isis distribution.

For some reason, it looks like your pgplot library doesn't have
the 'cpggray' subroutine.  That's why you're seeing the message
"undefined symbol: cpggray".

It's strange that this symbol is missing.

> Early on in trying to get a successfully run, I had compiled with<br>
> ./configure --with-pgplotinc=/usr/include --with-pgplotlib=/usr/lib
> --with-pgplot=$HEADAS --with-headas=$HEADAS<br>
> but naturally that's not working again.&nbsp; :-)<br>

I recommend using the cfitsio and pgplot libraries included in
the HEADAS distribution.  To do that, configure isis like so:

  ./configure --with-slang=DIR --with-headas=$HEADAS

Is cpggray missing from the HEADAS version of pgplot?

In case that's the problem, I removed the reference to cpggray
from pgplot-module.c.  That modified version of the module
available in:
  ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/houck/tmp/pgplot-module.c
and can be used to replace:
   isis-$version/modules/pgplot/src/pgplot-module.c

To build a new version of the pgplot module after replacing
that file, do:

  cd isis-$version/modules/pgplot/src
  make clean all install

I hope there are no more missing symbols.

Thanks,
-John