Re: BOUNCE isis-users_at_email.domain.hidden

From: John Houck <houck_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:33:00 -0400
On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:44 -0400, nrbutler_at_email.domain.hidden>
> Hey,
>
> I haven't seen anyone comment on this before.  Apologies if that's not the
> case.
>
> I've noticed that the conf() function in ISIS (and fconf() and vconf())
> determine parameter confidence intervals by freezing the other parameters
> and by varying the interesting parameter until a desired dchi^2 is
> achieved.

That's not the way it works -- what makes you think so?
You can use vconf to see how all non-frozen parameters
are varied during the confidence limit search.

>            I'm not sure what this means statistically.
>
> The standard XSPEC approach is to fit the other (non-interesting) parameters
> as the interesting parameter is varied.  When the desired dchi^2 is found
> in this case, the parameter bounds are confidence regions based on the
> likelihood ratio test.  This is valid if your number of data points and counts
> are large.

ISIS does it the same way.

> In practice, the important thing I've noticed is that ISIS underestimates
> confidence intervals relative to XSPEC.  If this isn't a bug, it would
> be a good idea for there to be more explanation in the manual and help.
>
> -Nat

Can you quantify this?  If there's a significant consistent
difference, I'd like to understand it.

Thanks,
-John

--
John C. Houck         MIT Center for Space Research
tel: 617-253-3849           77 Massachusetts Avenue