Re: ISIS initialization error

From: Keith A McDermott <kmcdermo_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 13:28:10 -0400

John Houck wrote:
Re: ISIS initialization error

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:39 -0400, Keith A McDermott wrote:
> Upon trying to initialize ISIS, I am receiving the following error:
>
> --------------
>
> *** isis initialization failed; using ISIS_SRCDIR = /usr/local/isis
>
> Error linking to /usr/local/isis/lib/modules/pgplot-module.so:
> /usr/lib/libpgplot.so.5: undefined symbol: png_set_text
> Traceback: import
> /usr/local/isis/share/pgplot.sl:1:<top-level>:Import Error
> Traceback: evalfile
> Traceback: evalfile
> *** isis initialization failed
>
> --------------
>
> I have tried every combination of compiling pgplot I can think of and
> have followed every tutorial I've found.  Have confirmed that that
> symbol does exist:
>
> $ nm /usr/lib/libpng.a | grep png_set_text
> 000016e0 T png_set_text
> 00000f50 T png_set_text_2
>          U png_set_text_2
> nm: libpng12_la-pnggccrd.o: no symbols
>          U png_set_text_2
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated,
> Keith McDermott

Hi Keith,

I think the problem is that libpgplot.so.5 must resolve that
symbol by finding it in a shared library.  On my system, that
shared library is
 /usr/lib/libpng12.so

If your system defines png_set_text in /usr/lib/libpng.so, then
adding -lpng to the list of libraries linked to the pgplot
module should solve the problem.

To do that, edit
  isis-$version/modules/pgplot/src/Makefile
Change the line
  DRIVER_LIBS     =  #<- Add additional libraries here
  DRIVER_LIBS     =  -lpng

Note that if your library is libpng12.so, the change would be
  DRIVER_LIBS = -lpng12

After editing the makefile, do:
  cd isis-$version/modules/pgplot
  make clean all install

Thanks,
-John

Thanks John,

libpng.a was actually just a symlink to libpng12.  I applied that change but now it seems to have reverted isis to using it's own pgplot module instead of using the system one

*** isis initialization failed; using ISIS_SRCDIR = /usr/local/isis

Error linking to /usr/local/isis/lib/modules/pgplot-module.so: /usr/local/isis/lib/modules/pgplot-module.so: undefined symbol: cpggray
Traceback: import
/usr/local/isis/share/pgplot.sl:1:<top-level>:Import Error
Traceback: evalfile
Traceback: evalfile
*** isis initialization failed

Early on in trying to get a successfully run, I had compiled with
./configure --with-pgplotinc=/usr/include --with-pgplotlib=/usr/lib --with-pgplot=$HEADAS --with-headas=$HEADAS

but naturally that's not working again.  :-)

Thanks,
Keith
---- You received this message because you are subscribed to the isis-users list. To unsubscribe, send a message to isis-users-request_at_email.domain.hiddenwith the first line of the message as: unsubscribe Received on Mon Sep 08 2008 - 13:36:56 EDT