Re: xylabel

From: John Houck <houck>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:38:06 -0500
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 09:55 +0100, goldsteing_at_email.domain.hidden>
> Often I want to provide a quick visual guide to the expected value of a
> particular line in a plot of a spectrum, without going through the routine
> of loading the ion database, selecting the brightest etc.
>
> I find that if I place a mark( , ,  "_ Si XIII", 90) in the xylabel command,
> the underscore is very close to the right place, and is a good enough
> approximation in many circumstances. Is there a way to get an exact
> placement of the underscore, using a quick procedure?

According to the PGPLOT documentation for 'pgptxt' (xylabel
is just a wrapper for pgptxt),

   "The string is drawn with the baseline of all the characters
    passing through point (X,Y)"

On the other hand, it may be that the '_' sits slightly above
or below the baseline -- the positioning may also depend on the
chosen font and character size.

-John