installation trouble

From: Mark Mahabir <mim_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:25:51 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

I wonder if you can make any suggestions. I've followed the installation
instructions here to the letter:

http://space.mit.edu/CXC/isis/install.html

in order to try and get a successful installation of isis 1.5.0 on my
MacBook, running MacOS X 10.5.8 (Leopard).

At the make check stage I get the following:

testing xspec module import.... Error linking to
./modules/xspec/src/elfobjs/xspec-module.so:
dlopen(../modules/xspec/src/elfobjs/xspec-module.so, 10): Symbol not
found: _udmfre_
  Referenced from:
/soft/src/isis-1.5.0/modules/xspec/src/elfobjs/xspec-module.so
  Expected in: flat namespace

Traceback: import
./modules/xspec/src/xspec.sl:27:<top-level>:Import Error
Traceback: evalfile
Failed loading file xspec_import.sl
make[1]: *** [check] Error 1
make: *** [chec] Error 2

When trying to run the code_gen script, I get the following:

./code_gen.sl 12 /soft/src/heasoft-6.7
Searching for XSPEC source code in: /soft/src/heasoft-6.7
Unable to typecast Null_Type to File_Type
Traceback: fprintf
./code_gen.sl:311:open_output_files: Type Mismatch

Unfortunately I have no idea what any of this means (also googled to no
effect). I grabbed the latest versions of slang, isis and heasoft as
instructed to do so in the document - I have not added any custom models
etc. I plan to use pgplot, cfitsio etc. as included with the heasoft
stuff.

I got my GCC and GFORTRAN compilers from http://hpc.sourceforge.net and I
can verify they are matching versions (both 4.4.1) installed in
/usr/local. I cleared out older versions from /usr/bin. I have the latest
version of Xcode installed (I think, version 3.0?)

I've verified my HEADAS variable points to the correct location in /soft,
so I'm fresh out of ideas :(

Look forward to hearing from you (thanks in advance).

Mark

----
Mark Mahabir (XROA System Manager)
Dept of Physics & Astronomy,        Phone  +44 116 252 5652
University of Leicester,            Fax    +44 116 252 3311
Leicester, LE1 7RH,  U.K.