Re: mekal models

From: Michael Nowak <mnowak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:32:22 -0400
On Aug 14, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Rhaana Starling wrote:

> I have not been able to get the mekal model(s) to work in isis,
> where all
> other xspec models I have tried are working. Is there something
> specific
> to this model I need to do first, does anyone know?
> Thanks,
> Rhaana
>
> isis> fit_fun(mekal(1));
> Error: function evaluation failed

I assume that it's not because you don't have quotes in the above, e.g.,

isis> fit_fun("mekal(1)");

I have no problems running mekal over here in our set-up.  To diagnose
this better, we'd need more information:

1) Do you know what versions of ISIS & XSPEC you are using?
2) Do you know how each was built?  Were they built using the same
compilers?  That's often a culprit for funny errors.  For instance, we
just switched over XSPEC and ISIS to being built under gcc/gfortran
4.3.  However, ISIS built with gcc 4.3 here will run XSPEC models
built with gcc 4.1; however, PGPLOT will drop the axis labels on all
plots.  And there are other, more subtle errors that crop up.  Some
imported modules built with gcc 4.1 will fail immediately, while some
will seemingly work but corrupt data.  It's very important to have a
uniform set of builds for all of the pieces.
3) Do you know if mekal works under XSPEC alone?  I.e., if you did a:

	model mekal
	dummyrsp
	plot model

in XSPEC, does that work?  It would be good to track it down if it's
in XSPEC proper, or in the calling of XSPEC from ISIS.  If the latter,
my first guess would be #2 above.

That's at least a start to diagnosing this further.  Let's get the
answers to the above, and work from there.

-Mike