Re: fits in channel space

From: Michael Nowak <mnowak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:13:05 -0400
On Aug 3, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Kazunori Ishibashi wrote:

> I don't have much time to elaborate, but isn't it simpler
> -- if it's a Gaussian function you want to fit -- to write
> S-lang functions using array_fit?

Oooh.  I use array_fit only very rarely.  You're then into the IDL
problem of every time you want to add a tweak to what you've done, you
have to add a whole new functions.  I.e., instead of:

fit_fun("plaw(1)+gauss(1)");

you have to write a function:

plaw_plus_gauss()

If you've already got the data in bin_hi/bin_lo/counts format, you
might as well keep running down that route.  You start building up a
useful library of fit functions that can be combined, you can use the
existing plotting routines, and you can use the existing binning
routines/ignoring routines.  As long as you pick a convention where
you know the correspondence between bin_lo/bin_hi and Angstrom (or
keV), I think that's much more flexible.

-Mike