Re: ISIS initialization error

From: John Houck <houck_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:51:26 -0400
On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:39 -0400, Keith A McDermott wrote:
> Upon trying to initialize ISIS, I am receiving the following error:
>
> --------------
>
> *** isis initialization failed; using ISIS_SRCDIR = /usr/local/isis
>
> Error linking to /usr/local/isis/lib/modules/pgplot-module.so:
> /usr/lib/libpgplot.so.5: undefined symbol: png_set_text
> Traceback: import
> /usr/local/isis/share/pgplot.sl:1:<top-level>:Import Error
> Traceback: evalfile
> Traceback: evalfile
> *** isis initialization failed
>
> --------------
>
> I have tried every combination of compiling pgplot I can think of and
> have followed every tutorial I've found.  Have confirmed that that
> symbol does exist:
>
> $ nm /usr/lib/libpng.a | grep png_set_text
> 000016e0 T png_set_text
> 00000f50 T png_set_text_2
>          U png_set_text_2
> nm: libpng12_la-pnggccrd.o: no symbols
>          U png_set_text_2
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated,
> Keith McDermott

Hi Keith,

I think the problem is that libpgplot.so.5 must resolve that
symbol by finding it in a shared library.  On my system, that
shared library is
 /usr/lib/libpng12.so

If your system defines png_set_text in /usr/lib/libpng.so, then
adding -lpng to the list of libraries linked to the pgplot
module should solve the problem.

To do that, edit
  isis-$version/modules/pgplot/src/Makefile
Change the line
  DRIVER_LIBS     =  #<- Add additional libraries here
  DRIVER_LIBS     =  -lpng

Note that if your library is libpng12.so, the change would be
  DRIVER_LIBS = -lpng12

After editing the makefile, do:
  cd isis-$version/modules/pgplot
  make clean all install