Re: y-label in multiplot

From: David P. Huenemoerder <dph>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:42:59 -0500
    John> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 16:27 +0100, goldsteing_at_email.domain.hidden    >>
    >> Does anyone know a simple solution for the problem of the y-label becoming
    >> jumbled (say in a 3 pane multplot), when the label and units are no longer
    >> legible in the plot?
    >>

    John> The simplest solution is probably to use smaller characters
    John> on the plot axes and labels.  Specifying e.g.
    John> charsize(0.5);
    John> before drawing the plot should help a bit.

Another thing which I have done is to do a

isis> ylabel("");

for all but one plot near the middle of the stack, and

isis> ylabel("something");

for one of them.

This doesn't help w/ overlapping tic labels.  There are probably
pgplot primitives to deal with this. For publication quality, I agree
it isn't suitable to have messy tics and labels, but I haven't dealt
with that yet.  (I have in the past used the idl axis commands, and
find such quite tedious, but for arbitrary and complicated plots,
tedium is probably required.  If I need something like that in a
hurry, I'll would probably dump data and go to IDL.  If I need it, but
have some time, I might explore pgplot primitives.)

-- Dave

David Huenemoerder (617-253-4283; fax: 253-8084)
MIT Center for Space Research/Chandra X-ray Center
70 Vassar St., NE80-6023,
Cambridge, MA  02139
[Admin. Asst.: Deborah Gage 617-253-0228, dgage_at_email.domain.hidden----